Lochnaw Castle

The Lochnaw Castle Estate, for centuries the hereditary home of the Scottish Clan Agnew, and once renowned as one of the finest sporting, fishing and exotic garden estates in Scotland, fell into neglect by the mid-20th Century. After changing hands a number of times after the departure of the Agnews the estate was rescued by the current owners in 1999. Having spent a decade restoring Lochnaw Castle and its' famous walled garden, which now contains one of the finest collection of fruit trees in the UK, the owners are now keen to restore the fishery and surrounding woodlands and gardens to their former glory.

Lochnaw Loch, formerly known as the White Loch, at just under 50 acres in size is relatively small in Scottish terms. Untypically, it is also apparently man made, albeit in the mists of time presumably for defensive purposes. Whilst the loch is now dominated by the imposing presence of Lochnaw Castle with its' dramatic battlemented 5 storey keep first constructed in 1426, the main island in the loch contains the ruins of the much earlier royal fortification of Old Lochnaw Castle which was abandoned after being sacked in 1390 by the aptly named Archibald the Grim of the 'Black' Douglas Clan.

Lochnaw Loch also contains a number of Crannogs. These are artificial islands of rock, stone and collapsed timber that are evidence of habitation by man from the dawn of pre-history through to later Medieval times when it was common for them to build defensive dwelling sites on the water. A short distance from Lochnaw Loch, on the edge of the estate overlooking the Irish Sea, lies the rermains of one of the largest Iron Age hill forts in Scotland.

At some time in the very early 18th Century Lochnaw Loch was drained and stone removed from the old castle to supplement the construction of a chapel wing to the lochside castle in 1704. A construction of a further substantial wing to the new castle was commenced in 1820 (since demolished) by which time the loch had already been re-flooded and returned to its original configuration. By this time it was already renowned for its "abundance of capital trout".

Lochnaw Castle Lochnaw Castle